Living Downtown in Greenville, SC

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Prominent Tory


Notice the sign in the top left of the photo. It is a little hard to read at that height. Actually you can read the sign just fine when walking across the bridge. I just found this angle more interesting for a photo.

I have walked by this sign many times and read it as well. However today was the first time I notice that it used the term "prominent Tory". The sign is a dedication to Richard Pearis the first settler in this section of indian territory. It goes on to say he was a prominent Tory of the revolution.

What this means is that he supported the British in the American Revolution.

I would not have notice the comment at all had I not recently read a Novel called The Hornets Nest by Jimmy Carter.

Click for a link to The Hornets Nest at Barnes & Noble.

Click here to see the location of the sign.

The sign says "About 1765 -- Near Reedy Falls, stood the home, trading station, and crist mill of Col. Richard Pearis, first white settler of this section. He was a noted indian trader and prominent Tory of the revolution. -- This marker placed by camps of Greenville County, Woodmen of the World, 1948".


Please note that I have changed the address for this blog to GreenvilleDailyPhoto. You will redirect on this page however if it does not work please visit at

http://www.GreenvilleDailyPhoto.com

thank you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home